Thursday, September 2, 2010

Sloppy Joe!

I was sitting down with my notebook the other day trying to think of something to cook that was 'new'. Something that we don't have all the time. The answer? Sloppy joes!

I'm slightly ashamed to admit that I've never made homemade jos before. This seemed like the ideal time. I used a recipe off of the ever wonderful Allrecipes. I made only two slight variations.

To make it a little healthier I used a pound of ground turkey with a pound of ground beef. (I'm not gonna tell the hubby! If he can't tell he doesn't need to know! :) ) I also added a little BBQ sauce just for a different flavor. As I type this its simmering in my crockpot on the counter and smells wonderful.

Sloppy Joes II (from Allrecipes.com. Variations by me)
1 lb ground beef
1 lb ground turkey
1/2 c chopped onion
1/2 c chopped green bell pepper
1/4 c brown sugar
1/4 c bbq sauce
1 t. garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste

Put everything in the crock pot. Cook on high for 4 hours and enjoy!

*The original recipe doesn't call for a crock pot but I enjoy using mine every chance I can get!

No comments:

Post a Comment