Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sour Cream and Dill Potato Salad

The thing I love the most about this potato salad is that its different. There is no mustard in it.* Not one little bit. Plus, its sour cream. And dill. In other words, its perfection.

Last week I was out with a friend and she was talking about planning her daughters birthday party. During the conversation she mourned the fact that, as she doesn't eat potato salad, she doesn't really know how to make it. Cue Liz.

So I volunteered. And while I was making this batch, I boiled pretty much every potato in my house and made approx. 8 lbs of potato salad. Half for the birthday party, half for a pot luck meeting I am going to have tomorrow.

Now, potato salad is really easy to make. The only reason I don't make it more often is that it really is sort of time consuming. I mean, you (sometimes) peel, you boil...then you have to chill it...so even though its a very easy process, if you don't have the time to wait on a pot of water and fridge time...

But in the end its so worth it.

This recipe is one I found in one of my favorite cookbooks ever, a Best of Southern Living cookbook. My mom has used this cookbook for years, and when I got married she went and bought me a copy. I had never tasted it before I got married however. My mom always just makes an old family recipe for potato salad...plus my dad refuses to eat anything that has sour cream in it. His loss. :)

Sour Cream and Dill Potato Salad
(Photos and recipe by Busy Nothings. Original recipe: Southern Living)

3 lbs new red potatoes(you know...the little ones)
2/3 C. mayo
1 (8-oz) container sour cream(I usually end up using a little bit more...I love my sour cream!)
2 T parsley
3 T dill
1 1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper

Cut new potatoes in half or in quarters, depending on how you like it. Boil in water until soft. Drain and move potatoes to large bowl. Add mayo, sour cream, and seasonings. Mix well. Refrigerate 4-6 hours, or overnight. And enjoy the BEST potato salad ever. Really.

*I'm not hating on mustard potato salad. Really. I like it, I do. But...this is sour cream. And dill. Isn't that explanation enough?

No comments:

Post a Comment