Thursday, September 9, 2010

Banana-Coconut Bread

When I woke up this morning and walked into the kitchen, the first thing I saw was the three very ripe bananas sitting on my microwave. And then I thought banana bread! I normally don't have bananas that are ripe enough to make bread with. They don't last that long. My son loves his 'naners'.

So once my errands were done for the day I got to work.

I found this recipe on For the Love of Cooking a while back and its been festering in the back of my mind ever since. I love banana and coconut together! The original recipe makes muffins but I adapted it to make a loaf.

It's baking right now as I type this and my kitchen smells wonderful. The cinnamon smell is mouthwatering.

Banana Coconut Bread
Adapted recipe and photos by BusyNothings.
Original recipe found on For the Love of Cooking

1 1/2 cups of flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 stick of butter (6 tbsp) melted
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cups of sugar
1 large egg
2 large very ripe bananas
3/4 cup shredded coconut plus more for sprinkling on top.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat loaf pan with cooking spray.
In a small mixing bowl combine first four ingredients. In another, larger bowl, whisk together vanilla, sugar and egg. Add melted butter to sugar and egg mixture and mix well. Smash the bananas and add to the batter as well as the coconut until well combined. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and mix until ingredients are just comibined. Don't over mix the batter. Pour batter into loaf pan and sprinkle some coconut on top.
Bake in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes or until tester inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out clean.



Note: Since this recipe was adapted from a muffin recipe, the loaf won't be very tall. Next time I'll be making them as muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment