Saturday, November 27, 2010

Leftover Turkey Enchiladas

I originally planned on doing a post for all my Thanksgiving dishes, but, as it is now several days after, I really, really just want to get to the leftovers. *slacker*

I love leftovers. Love eating them (provided its good leftovers) for a few days. Even more, though, I love coming up with something new to do with the leftovers. So today, I'm tackling turkey.

A confession: I don't love turkey. I'll eat it on holidays, but, for the most part, I'll eat a small piece, and focus more on the side dishes...cuz that's the kind of gal I am. So the plate of turkey sitting in my fridge? Yeah, probably just gonna sit there unless I figure out something to do with it.

I didn't want to do a casserole...I love me some casseroles, but a turkey casserole didn't seem overly appetizing. So I decided to make some enchiladas!


Leftover Turkey Enchiladas
2 cups shredded turkey (white or dark meat, your preference)
8 green onions, chopped
1 tablespoon chili powder*
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder*
1/4 teaspoon onion powder*
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes*
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano*
1/2 teaspoon paprika*
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin*
1 teaspoon sea salt*
1 teaspoon black pepper*
*you could use a packet of taco seasoning here, with the same results)
1 T butter
1 T vegetable oil
1/4 C chicken broth
1 C sour cream
1 C cottage cheese
8-10 flour tortillas
Cheese, optional
Red enchilada sauce (a 10-oz can, or make your own. Recipe here)

Saute turkey, onion, and spices in butter and oil. Add chicken broth. Cook til broth cooks down.


Mix sour cream and cottage cheese together in a bowl, along with some salt and pepper. Or lots of pepper. :)


Take a tortilla, and put about 3 T of the meat inside...


...followed by some of the cottage cheese mixture. (Some Monterrey jack cheese would be amazing here, but, as it is a leftover dish, I didn't see the need to run to the store for any. Instead, I just used the leftover Colby cheese from my cheese and cracker tray.)

Roll up tortillas and place in lightly greased baking dish. Repeat until all of your mixture is used up. Top with red enchilada sauce and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment