Friday, November 26, 2010

Firsts

**I'm probably going to be posting tons of new posts today...you have been warned.**

I love to try new recipes. Holidays give me the perfect excuse, too. (Not that I really need an excuse, I usually just do it anyways.)

This year has been a year of many first for me. Almost one year ago, was my sons first birthday. That sort of started it off. It was the start of the Christmas season, which held many, many firsts.

1. My first time taking a road trip with my hubby. (Not too many road trip destinations available when you live on Oahu.)
2. My first time in Texas. (Sorry, all you Texans...but I'm not real anxious to return. *insert plea to Uncle Sam* PLEASE anywhere but Fort Hood...)
3. My first time taking a road trip...or going anywhere, really, in a wrecked car. (Don't ask. And even if you do, all I'll say is it was NOT my fault...and if you're ever had to climb into the passenger seat of a car OVER the gear shifter thingy, you know that it is very painful and humiliating to recall how many times your big ol' butt was thrust up in the air as you climb into the car head first... you wont begrudge me my silence on this subject.)
4. My first time meeting my hubby's older brother.

There are many other firsts, but I want to get to the food. Last Christmas, there in that bleak, bleak, state of Texas, my wonderful sister-in-law and I made Christmas dinner for our families. She, being a holiday meal veteran, handled the ham, and I, being a rookie, made a few sides.
-Green bean casserole: a wonderful recipe that is oh-so-tasty and does not include cream of mushroom soup.
-Sweet potato casserole: made with the taters mashed. Yum.
-Sweet potato stuffed apples: this was a newbie. The one recipe I tried that I had never tried before. It was super easy and delish!
-Mini cheesecakes: ok, so its not a side...but it should be!
-Cheeseball: my families secret-but not secret recipe. Its super easy. Every one knows how to make it. But it still has that...secret feel to it.

I carried a few of these recipes with me all the way to yesterday's turkey day. But, of course, I had many firsts yesterday as well.
-My first time making a turkey: Brine it, folks!
-My first time actually hosting a holiday dinner: sure to not be my last.
-New recipes? Check!
-Stuffing, made with Chorizo, pecans and cheddar cheese. A repeat? Definitely.
-A certain roll recipe: A repeat?...maybe. I'm sure it would have been better had I read the ENTIRE recipe all the way through...then I would have known that it was going to take 15 HOURS to make these puppies. They sure did taste good though!
-Pumpkin Pie: I don't think I'll ever go back to canned pumpkin again.
-Pecan Pie: note to self-make sure you pay attention while toasting pecans. They burn. Easily.

These are a few of the things I made, and I'll be posting about them here pretty shortly. My goal is to do it today, but it may not happen. They will be posted though!

Cheers!
Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment