Thursday, September 30, 2010

Spaghetti and Meatballs

I'm not a huge pasta fan. Really. Mac and cheese is about the most noodle I can handle. Growing up, I was the oddity in my pasta salad loving family. I loathed the times we would go to relatives homes and they'd have spaghetti for a meal. Because I'd have to eat it. Can't be rude.

I used to long for the day when I'd be out on my own (ok, so I never got that far. Got married instead) and I'd be pasta free!

For the first year or so of our marriage, the hubby would ask for spaghetti from time to time. I'd heave a sigh. Maybe pout a little. Maybe. Then I'd make it, with the cheapest sauce I could find. And with very little grace.

I have recently come to realize that...I will probably never love spaghetti. But I can cook it for my family and enjoy making it to be as tasty as it possibly can get. And that is today's mission.

Sauce
Recipe and photos by Busy Nothings
1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
1 (6 0z) can tomato paste
1/2 C onion, diced
2 T dried basil
2 T dried oregano
2 T dried parsley flakes
2 T garlic powder
1 t sugar
1 bay leaf
dash red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste

Saute the onion in...BACON GREASE! Haha. Or olive oil, if you didn't happen to have bacon for breakfast this morning like I did. In a medium sauce pan, put the tomatoes and the paste in, then add all of the seasonings. Once the onions are tender, add those as well. Simmer for three hours on low.

I pretty much just read a bajillion sauce recipes and came up with my own based on what I had in my pantry. Should be good!

Meatballs
Recipe and photos by Busy Nothings
Origianl recipe by For the Love of Cooking
1 lb ground beef
1/4 C onion, finely chopped
1/4 C Italian style breadcrumbs
2 T parmesan cheese
1 clove garlic, minced
1 egg
1 T dried basil
2 T parsley flakes
1/4 C shredded mozzerella cheese
2 dashes Worcestershire sauce
Sea salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
1 T olive oil


Mix everything together. Roll into balls. Heat olive oil over meadium heat in a skillet. Cook meatballs in oil until golden brown on all sides. Put meatballs in sauce and simmer for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment