Wednesday, September 8, 2010

An omelet experiment

I was reading over on Our Best Bites and checking out all their wonderful recipes. Being very new to the food blogging world, I only recently discovered their blog but it has quickly become one of my favorites. My favorite thing about it? How real these women are. There is no pretense.

Another thing I love? How they use real ingredients. There's no...wheat germ or gluten-free stuff.* Or splenda. Or margarine. Two real women using real ingredients that you don't have to go out and scour every single one of your local grocery stores to find.

Anyway back to my experiment. If you read a few posts back I made omelets for breakfast. Ham, cheese and green onion omelets. Well I made another one for my lunch today. What can I say. I like omelets!

I was browsing through Our Best Bites and found this recipe for Baked Breakfast Taquitos. And it gave me an idea.

Now I like to cook, but I've never really experimented with different ingredients. I pretty much see a recipe and make it, sometimes adjusting it to our personal tastes. So when I read the section about scrambling the sour cream right into the eggs I went 'I need to try that!'

So today, with my son watching Shrek in the other room quietly, I decided I'd try it in an omelet.

So two eggs and about 2 Tablespoons of sour cream and a little salt and pepper went into the pan. It wasn't as...fluffy, I guess. It seemed flatter. But it smelled great.


Once it was done I flipped it in half and slid it onto my plate. And tasted it. WOW! Was it as fluffy as my normal egg and milk omelet? No. But the taste was amazing. It was rich and...rich...ok it was really really good. I can't wait to try this with actual scrambled eggs, because I'm sure that the cooking method has something to do with it. I'm sure they'll be light and fluffy and tasty.


*I'm not dissing cooking like this. Not at all! I have several friends with food allergies so I know that sometimes people need to cook gluten-free etc. But for those of us who aren't it sure gets frustrating to not be able to find ingredients like this when we don't have the need for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment